Thursday, June 28, 2007

Wednesday, 6.27 morning pages

Wednesday, 6/27/07

If my research were a car, it’d be an old-school, original VW bug….small, not totally safe, full of personality, weird to look at, and something that can be used for years (I hope!)…


If my topic were a color, it’d be yellow…..I don’t really know why, but that’s the color I think of when I think of the kids that intrigue me…

If my topic were a weather pattern, it’d be…..a flood….insert obvious metaphor here (flood of information, flood of inspiration….flood….lots of everything all at once….overpowering)

If my topic were food, it would be an anchovy pizza…everyone likes pizza but hates the gross anchovies….everyone who teaches loves to teach their passion but not everyone can enjoy teaching special needs kids

If my topic were an animal, it would be…my cat…she is tiny but totally the boss of our house….she is moody and unpredictable and can take down a dog of any size….i think this research is unpredictable (as is the nature of our profession which is the coolest part of it) but and mysterious to me and I enjoy reading more and more about it, just like I love to watch my cat leap off the couch onto our poor, unsuspecting chocolate lab….I'm the lab

If my topic were a TV show/movie…it’d be the Odd Couple….one of my all time favorite shows….the kids I’m curious about the most are a mix of both Oscar and Felix from one minute to the next and crack me up as they try to fight it out internally right in front of me as they earnestly ask a question or make a comment….their thinking reminds me of that show too because it is unconventional and something some might consider safe to just get by with and not edgy or possessing any hidden spunk

If your topic were a famous person…it would be Mattie Stepanek….a child poet who passed away from the genetic disease he knew from the start would kill him…his peaceful words and wise insight into the world are startling and prophetic…they have a hauntingly precise tone to them that innocently strikes one’s core

If your topic were a country…it’d be Germany----once divided ideologically and politically but reunited now. Not all Germans are totally happy with it, but can at least see the some of the reasons for the reunification and all can speak the same language and share the same history and culture now.:???? Special and regular ed sharing ideology and methodology…????? This metaphor is still under construction……….

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now, aren't you TOTALLY glad that Stacey talked us into this? I am :)